The Netherlands and Human Rights
Human rights are the cornerstone of human dignity, freedom and development, and form the basis for open and free societies all over the world.
There can be no democracy or rule of law if these rights are not promoted and
The Netherlands has a rich tradition of defending human rights, both at home and abroad.
Universal values – on which all our efforts are based- are the point of departure for a proactive human rights policy.
Our priorities are identified in our human rights policy:
- The protection of human rights defenders
- Equal rights for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people (LGBT)
- Equal rights for women
- Preventing the most flagrant human rights violations
- Freedom of expression and internet freedom
- Freedom of religion and belief
- Human rights and development
- Business and human rights
Contact with the embassy for human rights defenders
We support human rights defenders on the basis of the EU Guidelines for Human Rights Defenders.
If you are or know a human rights defender who is in trouble, please contact the embassy (name, e-mail, telephone number) and/or the EU delegation policy officer for human rights defenders